Pr Olivier Rascol
Doctor Olivier Rascol is a neurologist specialized in Movement Disorders, Professor of Clinical Pharmacology at the Toulouse University Hospital. He obtained his MD in Neurology (Toulouse, 1985) and his PhD in Neurosciences (Paris, 1992). Dr Rascol is running the Toulouse Clinical Investigation Centre (CIC14136) since 1994 and the Toulouse Space Clinic since 1998. He is the coordinator of the Toulouse Expert Center for Parkinson Disease (PD) and of the national French Reference Center for Multiple System Atrophy (MSA). Dr Rascol is chairing the NS-Park/F-CRIN Neurosciences Network on clinical research in PD since 2010, and is coordinating the National French Clinical Research Infrastructure Network F-CRIN (PIA1 grant of > 20 M€).
As a clinical neuropharmacologist, Pr Rascol’s main fields of interest are PD & movement disorders, drug development for PD and neuroimaging. Pr Rascol has been actively involved in the development of most marketed antiparkinsonian medications within the last 25 years (ropinirole, rasagiline, entacapone, safinamide, pramipexole ER, opicapone, amantadine ER, istradefylline, novel extended-release formulations of L-DOPA, device-based delivery of L-DOPA and apomorphine…). He is currently running several large trials for disease progression and symptomatic management of PD (motor signs, dyskinesias and on-off problems, non-motor signs such as pain and sleep problems) with new dopaminergic and non-dopaminergic (serotonergic, glutamatergic, …) drugs in collaboration with national and international academic and industry partners. Pr Rascol is a scientific advisor for French and European scientific organisations, patients’ associations, drug agencies and international pharmaceutical companies. As the chair of the National F-CRIN Clinical Research infrastructure, Pr Rascol is deeply involved in the management and organisation of clinical research in France.
Pr Rascol has served as the Secretary of the International Parkinson & Movement Disorders Society (2006-2009), as the chair of IP-MDS European Section (2013-2015) and as the chair of the Movement Disorder Scientific Panel of the European Academy of Neurology (2013-2015).
Pr Rascol is serving or has served as editor/associate-editor for Movement Disorders Journal, J Neural Transmission, Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology. He is or has been at the editorial board of Lancet Neurology, Neurology, European J Neurology…
Pr Rascol has been invited worldwide to give more than 450 lectures in Europe, North America, South America and Asia on the occasion of national and international meetings. Pr Rascol’s H factor is >70, with >500 publications in International Scientific journals (New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, Lancet Neurology, Annals of Neurology, Neurology, Archives of Neurology, Brain, JAMA Neurology, Movement Disorders…):
- Rascol et al, A five-year study of the incidence of dyskinesia in patients with Parkinson disease who were treated with ropinirole or levodopa. N Engl J Med 2000
- Rascol et al Treatment interventions for Parkinson disease: an Evidence Based Assessment. The Lancet 2002.
- Rascol et al. Rasagiline as adjunct to levodopa in Parkinson disease patients with motor fluctuations: the LARGO Study. The Lancet 2005.
- Olanow*, Rascol* et al. A double-blind, delayed start study of rasagiline in early Parkinson disease: the ADAGIO Study. N Engl J Med 2009 (*co-first authors).
- Charvin, …, Rascol. Therapeutic strategies for Parkinson disease: beyond dopaminergic drugs. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2018.
- Rascol. CVT-301 for Parkinson's disease: dose and effect size issues. Lancet Neurol. 2019
- Tolosa, …, Rascol. LRRK2 in Parkinson disease: challenges of clinical trials. Nat Rev Neurol. 2020